The Advisory Board Company
We're seeking a health policy wonk. A news junkie. A top-notch writer and editor. A person who thrives on deadlines.
Someone who's excited to analyze the nation's health care news, in partnership with Advisory Board's most senior researchers—and tell more than 200,000 subscribers what they need to know that day.
We know; we're seeking someone special. But we have high standards at the Daily Briefing. It's the Advisory Board's flagship news vehicle and a must-read at thousands of hospitals across the nation. According to one hospital executive who missed a few issues, I feel like I'm going through caffeine withdrawal not being able to see the Daily Briefing every day.
The Daily Briefing's small but dynamic team typically works a 7:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. shift, although there is some flexibility for the senior analyst/consultant position. Until noon, staff members are on a very tight deadline while composing the day’s issue; afternoons are less intense.
The senior analyst/consultant serves as the team's chief liaison with Advisory Board's Research teams—writing, editing, and coordinating expert commentary on breaking news and health policy trends; leading advisory.com's 12 blogs; and helping guide Daily Briefing's story assignments to ensure the publication reflects the most pressing issues facing health care CEOs.
Recent subjects of expert commentary in the Daily Briefing include the opioid epidemic, changes to how Medicare reimburses clinicians, how patients' health care preferences vary by age, the new Amazon-Berkshire Hathaway-JPMorgan health care initiative, new clinical guidelines for stroke care, EHRs coming to iPhones, how to help underperforming staff, and more.
This opportunity is based in Washington, D.C.
• Collaborate with Research teams and Daily Briefing staffers to write, edit, and coordinate expert commentary on breaking news, policy trends, and best practices in health care;
• Edit and publish advisory.com's 12 blogs, requiring familiarity with HTML and Sitecore;
• Actively participate in discussions about the stories that Daily Briefing should cover, representing the perspective of our member executives;
• Conduct interviews with high-level internal and external experts on health policy issues; and
• Monitor health care trends to ensure news coverage is as comprehensive as possible.
• Maintain expertise in health care news and Advisory Board research;
• Interface with other Advisory Board departments, including our research and member services teams, to drive stories about the firm's research;
• Actively participate in web data analysis to measure the success of blogs and other Advisory Board content, and set editorial strategy in response to analytics;
• Coordinate production of infographics, videos, and other new-media content; and
• Monitor and build readership and increase reader value through creative coverage and testing new ideas.
• Bachelor’s degree;
• 5 years of work experience;
• Demonstrated expertise in health policy; and
• Exceptional communications skills, including demonstrated writing and editing experience in a professional environment.
• Master’s degree in a discipline related to health policy, journalism, or communications;
• Experience conducting primary and secondary health care research;
• Demonstrated ability to create, adapt, and publish content specifically for the web;
• Proven to be organized, task-oriented, proactive, and deadline-driven;
• Able to work independently; and
• Experience building relationships while negotiating, prioritizing, and managing concurrent projects.
About Advisory Board
Advisory Board is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and consulting to improve the performance of 4,400 health care organizations. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., with offices worldwide, Advisory Board forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value. For more information, visit www.advisory.com
We are a workplace that...
Values and celebrates diversity of experience, culture, and opinion
Is committed to creating an inclusive environment to enhance our collective experience
Promotes a supportive community through staff-led affinity groups, events, and education
Our Culture & Values:
We award, promote, and praise based on individual performance, capabilities, and ambition. We provide ways for staff to share their time, talent, and passions in the community. We reward innovation and foster a collaborative environment. We have a performance-driven staff and peers that challenge one another in the workplace. And we want free-thinkers, agile speakers, witty writers, and team players to join the firm – at Advisory Board, your ideas are heard and your contributions matter.
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, Advisory Board offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20 days paid time off and 10 paid company holidays
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here
Advisory Board is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.
The Advisory Board Company is a global research, consulting, and technology firm helping hospital and health system leaders improve the quality and efficiency of patient care. We provide strategic guidance, actionable insights, and comprehensive implementation and management services. Through our membership model, we collaborate with executives and their teams to find and implement the best solutions to their toughest challenges. We appreciate the trust that our members place in us, and we seek to serve them with generosity—and beyond expectation—in all that we do.We believe that good ideas are transformative, the key to successful enterprise. Our job is to find the best ideas.We combine the analytical, clinical, managerial, and technological expertise of our staff with insights from over 100,000 interviews with executives, academics, policy makers, and consultants from our global network to find solutions to our members’ most pressing challenges. From our experts across the globe to the leadership team driving corporate strategy, our staff embodies the principles that have guided The Advisory Board Company since its inception.